Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Tikno G

*Edited 6 months ago

Camera problem

I'm just sharing my experience. Hoping your suggestion to correct or improve the steps based on your experience, so I can learn much from this community for the step / tips/ trick that I don't know. Usually this happened on built-in camera. I will take the following steps and stop the next steps if problem has solved: 1) Sign out from current account -> restart -> sign in with administrator account. 2) Update BIOS, then camera driver, then camera firmware if suggested and/or available from laptop manufacturer. 3) Update Win 10 to the latest version including all pending updates -> restart computer. 4) Troubleshoot Windows Store Apps. Find it by typing "troubleshoot" in windows search. 5) Check the camera privacy setting, whether it's blocked. Find it by typing "privacy settings" in search. 6) Reset Camera app. Find it by typing "apps & features" in search -> Advanced options -> Reset. 7) Check camera device compatibility in Device Manager -> right-click camera device -> Property -> Driver -> click Driver Details. If there is stream.sys in the list, then I will suggest my client to replace the camera device with a new one or use external camera. If not, it might be compatible with win 10. 8) Edit windows registry. Sometime can fix the problem. WARNING : please readers DO NOT do this if not familiar. Do it with your own risk. 8.a. Backup and save current registry setting. 8.b. Edit registry at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> WOW6432Node -> Microsoft -> Windows Media Foundation. On the right pane of the Registry Editor of Windows Media Foundation, create the new DWORD (32-bit) Value -> enter EnableFrameServerMode (without space) as the title for the new DWORD -> double-click EnableFrameServerMode -> Input 0 (zero) for Value data -> OK -> Restart. If any things is missing or there is any other tips that I don't know, please let me know.