Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Michael Higham

10 months ago

Configuring User Account Control

You can change User Account Control settings. User Account Control prevents unauthorized changes to your computer unless you accept to do so. This is dependent on program installations or configuration changes. To change User Account Control settings: 1. Click Start, type "user account control" (without the quotation marks), and then click Change User Account Control Settings in a list of results. 2. Drag the slider up or down to what setting you want: - Always notify me when applications try to install software or make changes to my computer and I make changes to Windows settings - Notify me only when applications try to make changes to my computer (default) but don't notify me when I make changes to Windows settings - Notify me only when applications try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop) but don't notify me when I make changes to Windows settings - Never notify me when applications try to install software or make changes to my computer and I make changes to Windows settings 3. Click OK. Notes: - If you set User Account Control to Never Notify, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Using this setting is not recommended. - If you set User Account Control to Always Notify, you will always be notified when applications try to make changes to your computer or make changes to Windows settings. This is the highest security setting. - When a User Account Control dialog box pops up, your desktop will be dimmed until you provide confirmation.