Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Magnulast

10 months ago

If there was a new file system what would you want over NTFS

Ok, so as many as you know, the ReFS file system is essentailly gone now, as there really isn't much point for it to exist. The problems were essenitally it uses more power, it can't be booted from, and despite it's slightly faster speed and emulation safety and "Resilient File System" what would you want from a hardware prespective? As you do not know, NTFS basically stores information in this format NTFS Boot sector-You know, to boot the device. MFT-Master file table-Basically stores the metadata, and location, retrival as a result. File system data- The actual files are stored here. MFTC-Copy of the Master file table if something goes horribly wrong. (Below significantly generalizes significant amounts of information.) I would want, significant focus on multi-core optimization of the file system(Such as utilizing the cache of the cpu much more effectively, 3mb L1 cache pls), such as allocating metadata of a file in a seperate location as a "cache" possibly including thumbnails directly into the file system(meaing goodby thumbxxx.db)(and add more security if stenography is that scary) I would also prefer the MFT or a replacement of it, to become optimizable for redundant file access, such as prioritizing OS files by linking it directly to the file system with secure boot. Please do not just say "I want reliability, security, and improved performance for the next file system XD🐍" I know my wants are completely ignorant of device security, but I do not care about it.