Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Ian Johnson

7 months ago

Microsoft’ priorities –cosmetic change or neglecting faults

There used to be a car manufacturer in the UK called British Leyland, which was widely alleged to leave the reliability testing of new models to those customers who were foolish enough to buy them. Needless to say, its cars were full of faults and, unsurprisingly, the company went out of business. Microsoft seems to be heading down the same road. The latest Windows 10 Features Update 2004 apparently offers 16 new features. But it has also caused major problems for Windows users. These have been known since at least May, and many are unresolved, but this Update is still not labelled as a Beta version and users are being encouraged to take the Update without any warning that it is still full of problems. In my case, it has totally f**ked up my system. I cannot get any sound out of my audio system (Realtek in a Dell XPS 8930), and there is nothing in the troubleshooter, the support system or community forum which provides any clear and explicit guidance about how to resolve this. This approach to user support seems to typify Microsoft’s casual attitude to users of its systems. When Edge was introduced, it was an alleged improvement on Internet Explorer. It claimed to have many new features, but it also omitted some useful ones that had been part of IE, making some processes such as downloading and saving a copy of a pdf more complicated and time-consuming for users. And its handling of Favourites was and remains a disaster. What can we expect from the promised new Chromium-based version? Another shit-show? Office is suffering from the same pattern - producing continual unnecessary superficial cosmetic changes while reported faults are ignored. If the managers can't get the priorities right, and/or the programmers can’t cope with the complexity of what they are being asked to produce, isn’t it time for some substantial changes in the company’s personnel?