Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

John S

3 months ago

Microsoft's new competition from Google "Stack"

This one I must ad is rather formidable too. Google's Area 120 has released an app called Stack. https://www.androidcentral.com/google-area-120-develops-stack-document-scanner For those that have not read about it, it is a mobile scanner app much like Microsoft Office Lens. Being the curious type that I am, I had to try it out. Here is what I found. This is going to make Microsoft sit up and take notice! plain and simple. Why? Mainly because of the AI features that they have built in, but also the "Stacks" are easier to access, than are Microsoft's, upload locations. Also you really don't need to center the device on the object to be scanned, just over it. You'll just have to try that one. But let's talk about the AI. What got my attention there, was when I scanned an item, which happened to be a bill, when it was ready to save to their "Stack", it showed me the name of the Payee. Where as with Office Lens I would need to edit their random file name to reflect the payee name. Maybe not a big deal, but certainly noteworthy. for those like myself that use Office Lens fairly frequently. Those are the 3 up sides. The down sides are, it's still in Beta, I felt that the UI was clunky, and although it says you can save the scan to somewhere other than Google Drive, I didn't find anywhere to change that. I saw where to turn it off, but not where to change. it. Bottom line from a lay person: Google Stack can when polished give Microsoft Office Lens a run for it' money, But Office Lens is tried and true and just keeps getting better and better. I'm staying with it