Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Ken Ackerman

*Edited 8 months ago

Recovering from hard drive failure

Hello, Please NOTE: I have an extremely bad attitude when it comes to Microsoft and Windows. Therefore, I will refrain from offering my opinions and I would appreciate it if others would do the same. I recently had my boot SSD fail. I've installed a new one and installed Windows 10 on it. When I set up this computer initially, I only installed Windows 7 on my boot drive (it was later upgraded without my knowledge or permission to Windows 10). I installed all other applications on mechanical hard drives. I initially had Windows keeping a back up for my bootable drive. After a period of months the external 1 TB drive I was using to back up the 256 GB SSD was full. I looked at the files. It appeared that the backup initially created an image of the drive then added periodic small files for changes (once a day, once a week, I do not remember) and that a restore would require going through all files. I stopped using Windows backup. I have windows 10 installed on a new hard drive. I have three questions: 1) - Determined this isn't possible... 2) - How can I reinstall Microsoft Office 2010? Not sure if I can locate the original discs. 3) - How can I create and maintain an image of my boot drive so that when my boot drive dies, I can put in a new drive and restore that image? - I've read about using a RAID array but I'm not certain that would work for me because I'm not clear on whether replacement drives in a RAID have to be identical to those being replaced. This has happened to me twice since Windows 95. The first time I was able to access the boot drive and repair it though I haven't the faintest idea how or what I did at that time. I apologize if I did not keep my opinions to myself.