Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Bob Scott

6 months ago

Release Preview Changed My Windows 10 Pro to Windows Home

I have posted this in the Microsoft Answer forum and did get a reply. The answer is that I have to put the Activation Key that I was given when I upgraded my Windows from Home to Professional 3-4 years ago. I'm not sure if I still have it or not. I'm not upset about it because that was from the Windows Insider Program although it was a bit surprising given that the general availability is one week away. Here is my post I made in the Microsoft Answer forum. I'm posting this so more people will know. ----------------------- Dell Laptop Inspiron 15 Series 5000 (5565) Windows 10 Version 10.0.19041 (Build 19041) I joined the Insider program for the first time and installed the new Preview Release. I noticed that it had changed my version from Windows 10 Professional to Windows 10 Home. My laptop originally came with Home 3-4 years ago and I immediately upgraded to Professional. I haven't had any problems since. I attempted to reinstall Windows using a USB stick that I had used in the past but when it came to a screen for me to review my settings before it actually did the installation it showed that it was going to install Windows 10 Home. Then I did a complete Reset using the fresh copy off my hard drive and when it finished it is still the Home version.