Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Nadarajah Thirugnanasothy

a year ago

Safely Remove USB Hard Drive

Hi, Some times I get this message when I try to eject my hard drive. "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." I have tried many suggested methods that I found on google search. None of them worked. Is it safe to just pull it out as suggested on this article (please see below) Thanks Thiru -- hide signature -- Microsoft Ditches ‘Safely Remove USB’ Requirement — Just Pull It Out 8 April 2019, 7:31 am EDT By Carl Velasco Tech Times It's common practice to hit "Safely Remove USB" before pulling out a flash drive from Windows devices, but Microsoft has officially called it quits on that requirements. As part of a new update, the Redmond company has modified the way Windows 10 handles disconnecting USBs or Thunderbolt storage devices. The change applies to USB thumb drives, external hard drives, flash drives, and even data transfer connections between PCs and smartphones. It took effect with the wide deployment of Windows 10 version 1809, which is the October 2018 update. https://www.techtimes.com/articles/241057/20190408/microsoft-ditches-safely-remove-usb-requirement-—-just-pull-it-out.htm ---------------