Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Paul

*Edited 2 years ago

"The device is currently in use"

I try to safely eject my USB device and get the message "The device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." I get this message 99% of the time - even when no applications or windows are open. Why is this happening? Is there a way to get around this? I never get this message at work or school, unless the USB device is actually in use. I do log in as a standard, non-administrator user. I only elevate to administrator privileges when necessary like installing applications (I also only temporarily elevate privileges; I never log on as an administrator). So when I get the "The device is currently is use." message, I right-click on start button and click Disk Management. I know that I can safely remove the device by going into Disk Management and taking the device offline. However, I cannot elevate to administrator privileges to get into Disk Management. I get the following message: "You are logged on as a standard user. You can view device settings in Device Manager, but you must be logged on as an administrator to make changes." I don't want to log on as an administrator, but I do want to temporarily elevate to administrator privileges to take the device offline. Is there a way to do this? When I'm logged on as standard user and want to install an application, I get prompted for an administrator password. I want the same thing to happen when I go to Device Manager and other areas that require administrator rights.