Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Alan Perks

*Edited 2 years ago

The great dilemma.

Over many years, starting with DOS, I have seen operating systems come and go. When they do, forums like this always throw up the views of lovers and haters. Unbalanced views are the main reason I stay away from social media in general, because I try to look past my own narrow view of what is best. The world turns, not about me, but about every user and their diverse needs. In my world, computers do something useful like engineering calculation or photo manipulation. Things I couldn't do realistically or creatively without one. In the days of DOS, a computer did amazing things for me. I wrote software that designed and plotted timber frame homes. Something way ahead of what most companies at the time had to work with. Windows arrived on the scene and was more trouble than it was worth, to me, being hampered by a graphical interface that served no practical purpose. The mouse was the most useful advance of the time, back then. We all hate change when we have to face learning a different way of doing something that we did perfectly well before. As I saw it, newer versions of windows added many different ways of doing the same thing. Another unnecessary distraction because those changes bloated the interface making it harder to work quickly. I could still revert to DOS, (no I couldn't, actually) or an earlier OS like my favourite Win 7. Why don't I, probably for the same reason as those who have progressed to Win 10, latest update version. We hope we will discover something new and exciting in it. Sadly, we don't make that discovery, but we do still upgrade and chase that foolish illusion. I can't help myself and I doubt anyone else can, either. What I also see in these advancements is the challenge Microsoft (and Apple) have. How to invent a new wheel, one that looks better than the old round one and does all the things their own advertising agents think customers desperately want. The customer, like me, seems to be the problem. Stop using what we don't need.