Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

GM Spates

*Edited 6 months ago

Win. 10, Ver. 20H2 Install Fails, Disk 100%, Restore Fails

I tried to install the October 20, 2020 Windows 10 update, version 20H2. The installation failed. I believe it was due to the HDD being maxed out at 100%. Following the failed installation, the computer continued to run with HDD at 100%. Following virus scans, I attempted System Restore. Only 2 prior System Restore points were available. Multiple System Restore attempts were made. Anti-virus and firewall settings were turned off following failed System Restore attempts. Following the final, failed System Restore attempt using the oldest System Restore date, the HDD problem seems to have been resolved, even though the System Restore failed. Regarding the failed System Restore, I received the following message after each failed attempt: _______________________ "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your Computer's system files were not changed. Details: System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070005) You can try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method." ______________________ HISTORY: This i5, 8GB, HP computer was purchased in 12/2018. It encountered a problem following purchase that required a System Restore. At that time, System Restore crashed the operating system, which became unusable. This required returning the computer to HP for warranty repair. The repaired laptop computer that was returned to me had an updated BIOS and the HDD partition was removed. I am currently running Win-10, Version 1909. The current HDD problem seems to be resolved. However, System Restore is not working properly. 1) Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I can get System Restore to work? 2) HDD at 100% seems to be a problem with Windows 10, Version 20H2. Any thoughts?