Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Alfonso Lopez

9 months ago

Windows 10 ISO downloads over torrents?

I'm setting up another machine, a laptop replacement for a relative. So I'm downloading Windows 10 for the Nth time now to reinstall Windows fresh from what it came with (keeping the key). Anyway, the current ISO size seems to be 4.9 GB, the connection to Microsoft's servers allow me to download at 60kB/s (well under what my internet connection can do, surely), and Microsoft WIndows' download page told me the link would be active for 24 hours. The expected time to finish the download at these rates is 24 hours, assuming nothing happens to this connection. Certainly this is causing me a strange bit anxiety xD Not to mention the annoyance of leaving a machine on just to complete a download. Now I'm not one to complain about the issues of download speeds, because I'm sure talking about hardware costs is annoying. But instead, I wonder why Microsoft Windows can't just distribute the ISO over torrenting? They attempted P2P sharing with Windows Update, why not the same with the ISOs? Less hassle for everyone. I'm really used to relegating ISO downloads to torrenting because I tend to run dual-boot with some sort of Linux distro on most of my own machines. Every distro I've used, I think, distributes its ISOs over torrents. I wonder if there's some strange reason why Windows can't do the same.