Skip to main content
Microsoft profile picture

Luca Martinis

a year ago

Windows resilience

I want to let you know what happened because it’s the first time in all my 30+ years IT life. I used to have two volumes/partitions, C: for Windows OS and E: for my data. Thursday evening I started Windows Update (only for last November 2019 cumulative update, I update very often) and shut down when finished. On Friday morning when I booted up the system I saw the Windows nice landscape photo but when I tried to login the password box was not shown, no way to login. I tried ALL possible paths (safe mode, cmd, etc.). You know what I found? Using diskpart from cmd I found a single volume/partition that was the merge of my C: and my E: data !!! dir command was showing all my C and E directories and files together in one single volume/partintion! Windows was corrupted somehow, no gpt fix, efi rebuild was successful. My SD with my Windows 10 File History was not accessible (and useless since the OS itself was corrupted). All my data were there, there was no encryption so, without any login, I saved all my data on a usb hdd with robocopy (this is very bad on a security perspective, It’s enough to have a usb stick and some time with a pc available, e.g. lunch break, and you can stole the whole data from it, easy, no password, no hack. Either Bitlocker or, even better, a 3rd parties encryption after UEFI layer is recommended. But this time I was happy I did't have bitlocker). The only solution to bring back to work the laptop was to boot from the Recovery Drive (lucky I did and had) and then restore a full image (lucky I did and had) with the old Windows 7 Backup Tool and finally robocopy back all my data (then upgrade again but not to the latest cumulative, better to wait a bit, a fix might come, then backup again). One additional note, since during the restore process I chose not to format all partitions from scratch, now I have one single partition C: with both OS and Data, I’m leaving Windows decision be the final one on how my volumes have to be on my laptop 😊